Skip to main content
Fourways 2 6 Dilston Terrace, Amble, Northumberland, NE65 0DT
Tel: 01665 714695 | Email:

Town Seats

Amble Town Council placed about 50% of the seats found throughout the town; these were originally purchased either by a joint grant funded project or were kindly paid for by donations and dedications from people within the town. In April 2012, we also became responsible for most of the seats which were in the ownership of Northumberland County Council.

We declined acceptance of those on Warkworth Harbour Comissioners’s land and those under Amble Development Trust’s guardianship in the Town Square as well as those in the Dunes area. The location of the seats we acquired are under review. They are being renovated where practicable in a partnership with HMP Northumberland or gradually replaced with a similar design to that used now- these are in black steel or with recycled plastic spars for durability to last longer and be less prone to destructive vandalism and graffiti.

To commemorate the centenary of WW1,  Amble Town Council placed cast iron seats in the Memorial Gardens to replace those already there. These are all designed to honour those who left our town over the years to fight for our freedom.

The first commemorates the centenary of WW1- inscribed 1914-2014; the second commemorates the 70th anniversary of WW2- inscribed 1945-2015; the third replaces the VE/VJ seat inscribed 1945-2005; and the last marks the end of WW1- 1918-2018. There are also two others which were designed with the war years and peace in mind and made by prisoners from HMP Northumberland.

We feel it is important to have these seats located throughout the town, whether just to give people a rest or to stop for a chat or to admire the view. Present costs for supply and installation of each seat is approximately £500- £600 but steel prices fluctuate considerably. Unfortunately, although the seats are checked and painted if necessary, there are occurrences of vandalism/ graffiti- please help us to maintain a good standard by discouraging this adverse behaviour and reporting any damage to police or the Town Clerk.